Too hot to handle

Jalapeno contest turns coaches into eating champs

Coaches Owens, McCreary and Guzman compete in the annual Jalapeno Eating contest against Cedar Creek coaches at Whataburger on Oct. 19. Combined, the coaches were able to eat more jalapenos and defeat Cedar Creek, bringing home a $1500 check to support BHS.

Mariah Ramon, Reporter

BHS coaches, McCreary, Guzman, Owens and Schaeffer brought home the $1500 check after defeating rivals Cedar Creek High School coaches at the annual BHS vs. CCHS Jalapeno Eating Contest on Oct. 19.

The event held at Whataburger in Bastrop attracted many supporters and fans to cheer on the coaches and show school spirit, including both school’s varsity football teams, cheerleading teams, administrators and students.

“I was surprised at the amount of students that showed up to Whataburger,” varsity cheerleader Melody Deviney said. “It’s a lot more fun to cheer when students actively participate in games and events.”

During the days leading up to the contest, both schools were full of excitement and anticipation and the rivalry continued to grow as the contest and game approached.

“Cedar Creek has come a long way since their football program started, and I’m happy for them, but we still look forward to playing and beating them every year,” junior Jaedon McGee said.

After an intense contest, Bastrop coaches were able to successfully eat more jalapenos and defeat CCHS. Not only did Bastrop come home win the win against Cedar Creek at the jalapeno eating contest, but varsity football also beat Cedar Creeks four days later at Memorial Stadium.

“I had a lot of fun at the jalapeno eating contest, and it was cool to see so many people come out and support Bastrop,” McGee said. “The fact that the coaches beat CCHS made beating Cedar Creek’s football team a few days later even better.”