Young golfer hopes for scholarship

With deep concentration in the tournament, sophomore Casey Harman tees off the green with his driver in an intense match against Georgetown, where Bastrop finished in third place.

Jared Smith, Reporter

In hope of going to regionals this year, returning varsity player Casey Harmon practices two hours each day for his competition in golf. As each year goes by, Harmon works hard on the green every day, hoping to get a scholarship to Texas A&M at College Station.

“Texas A&M has a really good golf program and I’m a huge A&M fan,” Harmon said. “My father almost got a scholarship to LSU for golf, but I really do hope I could get a scholarship to further and improve my golf skills in a much more competitive level.”

With winning district last year, many golfers at BHS are trying to keep it consecutive for winning district again this year.

“I can’t wait to compete this season to represent Bastrop with another district title, and I want to show off to other schools my golf skills and dominate the golf course in many aspects,” Harmon said.

Every school has an arch rival on and off the field. The main rival for Bastrop is Cedar Creek and it is a rivalry which has continued for over six years, not only in football, but in all sports including golf.

“We don’t really have a rival in our district for golf because we are the best in our district,” Harmon said.

Confidence is a major issue in golf. Players and even fans are forced to be quiet when the golfers are about to play.

“Before teeing off, I feel kind of nervous, but as I follow through the swing, I feel great with confidence to play a great golf match,” Harmon said.

Golf has flowed in the veins of Harmon since he was in the seventh grade. It also runs in the family, since his older brother (a senior) and father played as well.

“I am kind of disappointed that this is my last year with my brother as a varsity athlete on the golf team,” Harmon said. “In order for it to be a satisfying year, we must win another district title and make this year memorable.”