A ‘show and tell’ of stories from ‘K-12’

Indie-pop artist Melanie Martinez released her sophomore album K-12 on Sep 6, 2019

Charlie Seel, Copy Editor

Sept. 6, 2019, indie-pop artist Melanie Martinez released her sophomore album K-12, along with a film that compliments the album. K-12 comes four years after her debut album Crybaby, which had immense success charting number one on the Billboard U.S. Top Alternative albums. Throughout the album, Martinez illustrates a narrative where Crybaby and friends are on an adventure to destroy the K-12 school. “I think K-12 really did live up to the expectations we held for it. It still had that gothic vibe we first experienced with the release of Crybaby. It still remained truly Melanie Martinez, rather than the industry’s version of what she should be,” said Junior Lena Patterson.

Throughout the album of K-12, Martinez elaborates on the many problems that Crybaby, and friends must endure. The fantasy world of K-12 sends Crybaby to a school where she must battle various types of discrimination from not only students but also teachers. Stories told by Martinez present common issues that most youth in school have experienced such as eating disorders, different body types, and young love. Many fans loved the film and album and have expressed it through social media. One fan, Joli Bebe, even went as far as to recreate all of Martinez’s choreography from the film and posted it on YouTube to receive over 500,000 views.

Despite its 2019 release date, K-12 has been complete since 2017. Due to the accompanying film, K-12 was released four years after her debut album. “I do think the distance between her debut album and K-12 is too long. Because while it hyped her up in the upcoming moments to the release of K-12, there was a time in the four year limbo period where everyone kind of just forgot about her. It was as if she had shot through the stratosphere and just fell right back down,” said Patterson. This gap between albums caused controversy over whether or not the album would live up to expectations. “At first I thought she was taking too long to release an album. But once I saw K-12, an album like that must have taken time, but not four years,” said Sophomore Sofia Hernandez.

Although K-12 had worries about living up to her previous album, Martinez still presents her own creativity and indie-pop twist. K-12 charted number four on the American iTunes Charts on its release day and continues to grow in popularity. “K-12 was just an overall marvelous album. It still displayed the style we grew to love from Melanie Martinez, and each and every song told a specific story…Overall a great album,” said Patterson.