The American Legion gives two boys opportunity to attend a prestigious leadership government camp

Every year, two junior boys are chosen from BHS to attend a week long summer camp called Texas Boys State, where they’ll learn leadership and government. This year Eddie Brown and Mark Currie were given the highly esteemed honor of being selected to represent Bastrop at Texas Boys State.

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

“We are so blessed that the American Legion of Bastrop sends these young men each summer to UT for almost a week to meet and learn from other trailblazers like Eddie and Mac,” counselor Christine Rector said.

These boys were chosen because of their excelling achievements and success in both their education and behavior. Their leadership in the classroom, on the field, and just walking through the halls was seen, appreciated and recognized by many teachers throughout the school.

“I believe I was chosen because of the level of respect I hold for myself, and the respect I give my teachers and classmates,” Brown said. “It honestly felt really good knowing my behavior has been recognized.”

At Texas Boys State, every participant will learn more about their rights and civil duties as a United States citizen. The camp also mimics city, county, and state governments operated by some of the students that were be elected for their position by fellow attendees. This allowing every boy a chance to become more educated about politics and they way our government works.

“I don’t know how interested in politics I am, but Boys State could change that,” Currie said. “It’s all up to how the camp goes.”

The camp will last from June 9 to June 14, giving the boys an entire week to fully understand, learn, and grow from the lessons and experience at Boys State.

“I’m looking forward to the experience of camp more than anything,” Currie said.

Through this tremendous achievement, Brown and Currie will be taught leadership, politics, and public speaking. With the highly acclaimed title of Boys State Attendee and the educational curriculum taught, both boys will not only grow their resumes from attending Boys State, but also their leadership and character traits.

They represent Bastrop High School well and are a reflection of what’s best about our future leaders,” Rector said. “We cannot wait to see how this experience helps mold them and shape their dreams.”