Bastrop High School Nominated for Ten Musical Theatre Awards

Back to Article
Back to Article

Members of the Addams Family cast and crew pose with their GAHSMTA banner after learning what awards they had been nominated for.

Keally Garcia

Keally Garcia

Keally Garcia

Aaron Sullivan, Reporter

Representing Bastrop High School and the Bear Stage Theatre Company, students gathered at the Long Center for the Performing Arts in Austin on Tuesday, March 5, 2019 to learn which Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards their annual musical, The Addams Family, had been nominated for.

“I was a little confused at what GAHSMTA was at first,” said junior Stassia Moore, who played the Disco Ancestor, “but then everybody explained it to me, and it made me feel like, dang, I really did that!” The first Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards or GAHSMTA award ceremony was held April 17, 2014, and every year since, 30 participating schools come together to celebrate high school musical theatre. The ceremony is a Tony Awards style show, with several different performances and showcases from participating schools.

This year, Bastrop High School was nominated for 10 awards including: Best Actor in a Leading Role, Best Actress in a Leading Role, Best Featured Performer, Best Direction, Best Choreography, Best Ensemble and Best Production. “You always hope that the way your show looks in your head is the way that it actually comes out at the end,” said theatre teacher and director Amanda Tapia. “I think this is the first show that, from start to finish, ended up being what I had hoped it would be.”

This is Tapia’s second time directing a full, two-act musical in her career. The first time was last year’s musical at Bastrop High, Little Shop of Horrors, which was nominated for two GAHSMTAs. “Obviously, I don’t really expect the awards, and to be honest with you, not really caring about any awards, because that’s not why I do any of this,” said Tapia. “It’s pretty cool to see all of the hard work end up making what’s in my head actually happen.”

“Becoming Wednesday this past year for my senior musical was an amazing experience that came with many challenges,” said senior Sarah Cadena, who played Wednesday Addams. “The Addams Family are a well known group by many generations … [I] wanted to make her my own character and give her a piece of me.” Cadena has been in all four musicals at Bastrop High in her high school theatre career. This year she was nominated for the GAHSMTA for Best Actress in a Leading Role. “I feel blessed and honored to be nominated for a lead actress role in GAHSMTA,” said Cadena. “This is a great way to end my high school career.”

“I realized how excited I was for my cast and crew to feel confident in their performance, when all of that happened, I could watch [the show] again like a theatregoer.” said Tapia, “That to me was my most favorite part, was just being able to look at our show and say, ‘Ok. We’re done. We gave it literally everything we had, and there’s nothing I would change about it.”.