BHS student grows leadership, friendships, memories after showing livestock for nine years

After long, hard months working up to her show, junior Kate Kibby shows off her Senior Champion Showmanship award from the Lone Star Classic Steer & Hefner Show. Kibby was given this award because of her excelling ability and skill at showing her steer. “One benefit of showing is seeing my hard work pay off,” Kibby said.

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

From the show ring to the classroom, junior Kate Kibby is a hardworking, determined, high achieving, young leader. She has dedicated 9 years to showing various livestock all the way from lazy pigs to 1200 pound steers, while still managing her school and social life. Even through the labor intensive months and many days missed from school, Kibby still remains extremely passionate and in love with showing livestock.

“I miss about three weeks total during stock show season,” Kibby said. “But I still continue to show because it’s what I love. Showing is what I know best and it is what I am best at. If I could spend all day at home in the barn, I would.”

Every year Kibby gets her livestock around mid year, and once she’s bought her animals, her life is dedicated to working with them.

“It takes an entire year to prepare for the majors,” Kibby said. “I get my steers around May and June. Then I go home everyday after school and I have to wash and work with them. I have to feed a ration of different things, I wash them everyday to train their hair and to condition them. I have to walk them and work on setting them up.”

Though it takes a lot of time and energy, Kibby claims for it to be all worth the trouble when it comes to show season.

“The benefits of show is seeing my hard work pay off,” Kibby said. “I’ve made the sell the past two years, and it’s the most rewarding feeling ever getting the brand.”

Not only does getting the physical awards, like monetary rewards and ribbons, prove to be extremely rewarding to Kibby, but also the experiences she’s gained from it. Being at livestock shows for weeks on end, Kibby has created lifelong friendships with many people that she otherwise would’ve never met.

“My best friends come from the show world and if I wasn’t involved in this industry I wouldn’t have the people in my life that I do,” Kibby said. “The friends that I have made over the past nine years mean the most to me. Even though they live so far away, I feel so close to them.”

Kibby has many other things on her plate, but still has an undying love for showing livestock. While juggling NHS, Student Council, 4-H, Texas Youth Livestock Ambassador Program, and remaining in the Top 10% of her class, Kibby still finds time for showing and appreciates everything it’s done for her.

“Showing steers is one of the best industries to be involved in. I have made lifelong friendships with people from all over and I’ve built my relationship with my family. Not only that, but I’ve learned life lessons and it has taught me responsibility and patience. This industry has shaped me to be the person that I am today.”

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

This is junior Alex Mitchell's third year on the Bear Facts staff and her first year as Editor in Chief. In addition to reporting and photographing, she...