Bear Facts Takes to a New Outlet for Reporting

Follow the Bear Facts on Instagram @BHSBearFacts

The Bear Facts recently began posting announcements and teasers about articles posted on BHSToday.org on the new Bear Facts Instagram. Students and the community can use the Instagram Scan Code to easily add and access the new account.

Sheridan Stephenson

Alex Mitchell, Editor In Chief

From paper to phone, BHS’ newspaper, The Bear Facts, is making a monumental move to Instagram, in order to improve convenience for readers and to stay up to date with modern times.

The change was decided among Bear Facts staff after many conflicts with the printing of the newspaper, and ultimately the paper not being able to be printed this past 6 months. If you’ve been wondering where your 6 weekly news reports have been, they’ve resided on BHSToday.org, instead of the hardcopy newspaper that used to be handed out to students and staff on campus and delivered throughout the city in the Bastrop Advertiser. Without the physical copy of the news, BHS hasn’t had the most accessibility to the Bear Facts, and the newspaper staff hopes to change that with the introduction of the Bear Facts instagram.

On the instagram account, @BHSBearFacts, the staff plans to provide BHS with the same news they’ve been reporting for years, just in a different medium. Using the new feature of Instagram TV, every six weeks reporters will provide daily announcements and teasers/overviews that give a brief summary of the new articles available on BHSToday. Instead of readers having to search for their news, The Bear Facts is bringing it straight to their fingertips.

The newspaper staff has pondered the logistics of the idea for months now, and with thumbs up from administration they’ve finally put it into movement. The main reason for this renovation of the newspaper is defined by one simple mantra, “Student news: For the students, By the students,” meaning that the staff’s goal for the paper is for it to be as up to date and modern as the students reading and writing it. The 20th century has brought about many updates in communication, proving there is a lesser need for physical newspapers when you simply can have it on your smartphone. Not only is the move from physical to technological more environmentally sound, but it is also the most efficient way to keep the newspaper timely, rather than the outdated, old fashion version of it.

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

This is junior Alex Mitchell's third year on the Bear Facts staff and her first year as Editor in Chief. In addition to reporting and photographing, she...