Maintenance issues prove to be hindrance towards education, new plan for bond hopes to provide a balanced solution

Back to Article
Back to Article

The current BHS campus was built in 1985 and parts are in great need of repair. A bond is currently seen as the best solution to update the campus.

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

Built in 1985, the current Bastrop High School building has been around for about 35 years and has aged greatly since then. Due to BHS’ long life, it’s experienced many maintenance issues like leaking ceiling tiles, broken restrooms, and damaged floors. BHS has not gone through extensive renovation to fix these issues for approximately 11 years, but there are hopes to change that with a new maintenance company and an updated bond later to come.

[Bastrop High School] is an older building and maintenance issues are more prevalent in older buildings,” principal Brad Brown said. “But the new [maintenance] company will be implementing a preventative maintenance schedule which will go a long way in solving many of the reoccurring issues.”

But maintenance issues have posed a larger problem and have become much more prevalent this year than years prior. Many damages of the school have caused learning interruptions, and have also forced teachers to move out of their normal classrooms into  different rooms with their supplies and students.

With my classroom being under construction at the time I had to move my students to another classroom for at least 3 days,” Algebra teacher Chelsea Moore said. “It was a hassle because I had to carry calculators, papers, and other supplies back and forth that I needed for my students to be successful. I wasn’t able to use my projector while I was out of my room and that caused issues with me providing the best instruction possible to my students.”

Due to many maintenance issues not being addressed adequately across the district last year, Bastrop Independent School District transferred services to a new maintenance company, SSC Maintenance Services. SSC has worked with many school districts, colleges and universities, and therefore are experienced in the needs of BISD schools. They’ve been able to adequately service BHS so far, even though some issues haven’t been fixed. Major problems like air conditioning and ceiling damage have been addressed first, so issues like restrooms are being put off.

Since there were so many unfinished work orders left by the previous company, they are having to prioritize the issues and repair the high priority issues first,” Brown said. “Parking lot lines are a low priority and will be addressed later in the year or over the summer. The floors are a major repair and the expenses for the floor repairs may have to come from a future bond if the district decides to have one.”

BISD’s new superintendent, Barry Edwards, has a plan to fix these long term maintenance issues with a revised version of last year’s bond. Edward’s plan for the new bond, being more specific and balanced throughout schools, will allow for all long term problems at BHS to be addressed. But in order for the bond to fix these issues, BISD needs the community and all voters to be for the new bond.

“We plan to put together a package for the bond that we believe will pass. It will be very needs based and we think the voters will get behind us,” Edwards said. “We learned from the first bond that failed is that we didn’t have enough towards addressing some of the things at BHS. When we came back around and looked at the condition, the portables and things at BHS we saw that we need to put a more significant amount of money towards BHS. We came back [with a new plan] the second time with more of a balance between the high schools.”