Night School: Everyone deserves second chances

Back to Article
Back to Article

With Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish the main charters of the movie, Night School appeared in theaters September 28.

Makayla Bryant, Entertainment Editor

Night School starts off with young Teddy Walker (Kevin Hart) studying for a major high school test. It is because of this test that he becomes a high school dropout. Now an adult, Teddy is making the best of his life with his girlfriend and later fiancée, Lisa (Megalyn Echikunwoke), when a freak accident cost him his job as a BBQ salesman. Instead of admitting to his fiancée that he needs to go back to high school and get his GED to get a new job, Teddy pretends that he works at a finance firm with his childhood friend, Marvin (Ben Schwartz), who covers for him the whole time. In order to get his GED, he must go back to his old high school, which is now run by the nerd, Stewart (Taran Killam), who he used to belittle. Stewart first tells Teddy that there is no night school program at the school, until Teddy runs into the night school teacher himself. Carrie (Tiffany Haddish), the night school teacher who is persistently sarcastic and silver-tongued, accepts Teddy into her program, along with six others, one of whom is in jail, who also needs their GED. After a few weeks of the school, their midterm test comes up. Teddy, who is freaking out about the upcoming test, and the crew, Mila (Anne Winters), Jaylen (Romany Malco), Theresa (Mary Lynn Rajskub), Mackenzie (Rob Riggle), and Luis (Al Madrigal) all set out the night before and plan to steal the test. The heist is remarkably hilarious, but nonetheless, they are successful. Though, due to all of their test scores, Carrie figures out that somehow they all cheated. Teddy, eventually takes the blame, and gets kicked out of night school. Will Teddy’s night school secret get spilled to his new fiancée? What other challenges will Teddy face along the way? Will Teddy even get back into the night school program? Or is this the end for Teddy and his career?

Night School is a humorous plot that follows both Kevin Hart’s character, Teddy, and Tiffany Haddish’s, Carrie, who is constantly making witty remarks. The film, while it is hilarious with a lot of adult humor, could have made the dynamic between Hart and Haddish more charismatic, but it gets distracted by the multiple other people in the night school program. Still, it is filled with so many witty remarks and one-liners that it will keep the audience amused. Night School is a hysterical comedic film that knows exactly how to maintain laughter for its viewers and manage to keep the underlying message that hard work pays off in the end.