Formal Senior Pictures too Risqué?

Seniors and school officials discuss the pros and cons of keeping with the traditional formal pictures over cap and gowns for consistency.  For comparison, senior River Parrish's formal and cap and gown pictures have been split to show the divide.

Sheridan Stephenson

Seniors and school officials discuss the pros and cons of keeping with the traditional formal pictures over cap and gowns for consistency. For comparison, senior River Parrish's formal and cap and gown pictures have been split to show the divide.

Jozlynn Magallanez, Commentary Editor

Bastrop High School seniors are set to wear formal attire in their yearbook pictures, however, the traditional drapes female students are required to wear are out of the school’s day to day dress code. The tradition of the garments, which have been worn since the 1950’s, give many students the impression that tradition is being prioritized over the lasting representation they will hold in their high school yearbook.

“I think if they’re really going to hold us to dress code, they should keep us in dress code for our senior pictures too,” said senior River Parrish.

Many students feel the day to day dress code is out of date and plays favoritism. The drape worn by female students for senior picture is a velvet, cropped, and off the shoulder halter top that would be out of dress code if worn on any given school day. Some of the students feel the senior portrait wardrobe seems to be a double-standard that causes students to question the validity of school dress code rules.

“Wearing caps and gowns shows that you’ve succeeded in graduating high school,” said senior Chance Schroeder, “I think students should choose whether or not they’d want to wear a cap and gown.”

Having students wear their cap and gown in pictures would allow administration to have students dressed appropriately and show school spirit. This would also avoid possible vexation of students and parents alike in the future.

Yearbooks are historical documents that’s students reference to later in life and the current outdated 1950’s top says little about what we stood for in this time of our lives, our generation, or how we composed ourselves in the many hours spent within these walls. Wearing caps and gowns in the senior portraits would depict the unity of the graduating class, praise the proud milestone achieved, all while still respecting the standard students are held to on a daily basis.

Jozlynn Magallanez, Commentary Editor

Jozlynn is this year's Bear Facts Commentary Editor and is passionate about her writing. Jozlynn hopes to graduate a year early to attend the University...