Volleyball team starts off season strong with high rankings

During their intense game against Hutto, seniors Demonaye Rector(left), Gracie Long(middle) and Amanda Branecky(right) listen to volleyball coach Nicole Creek as she talks strategy with the team. Bastrop held a close game with the top team in Central Texas 5A, taking one set from them, but ended up losing 3-1. Hutto volleyball comes to BHS on October 2 to face off with the Lady Bears again this season.

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

From ranked 79 out of 240 in our region last year to 40 out of 230 this year, the Bastrop varsity volleyball team has made a huge advancement as a team so far this season. The team currently holds an overall record of 20-11, and is ranked #2 in the 5A Central Texas area. The team has a new motto “ME<WE,” meaning the “team over myself,” which has unified them and allowed for their great success this year.

“Our biggest strength is definitely our bond,” junior varsity libero Caela McGee said. “We trust each other to do our jobs on the court and we believe in each other. We’ve also been able to adapt and react quicker on the court, and as a team work through tough situations together.”

Not only has their teamwork improved the team, but so has their tough practices. They began pre-season practice in early August and have had more intense and tougher practices to prepare for district as times gone on. During the school year, the volleyball team practices three days a week and also on school holidays. Both coaches and players have to fully commit to the team with all the extra time and dedication it requires.

“We practiced harder than we had before during off season by working on specific things, so that when season started we could focus on the little things that would help us succeed,” McGee said.

The second place standings out of all 5A schools in Central Texas comes along with a lot of expectations for them to perform perfect. They’ve already experienced this pressure in their big game against Hutto on September 7th. As #1 in Central Texas, Hutto brought big competition and expectations to Bastrop’s volleyball team. The Lady Bears fought hard and were able to take one set, but in the end lost in hard battle against the Hippos.

“We really deserve being #2 in Central Texas for all the hard work we’ve done this year so far,” senior Gracie Long said. “It’s a lot of pressure but we are taking it well, and just need to remember to always start off strong and then keep that same energy.”

The team has had a successful start to the season and hopes to continue that throughout the year. With a team full of seniors, they have played and worked hard together for years and have big goals for their team and their senior season.

“Our goal for this season is Playoffs 2018,” Long said. “We have really improved from last year and playoffs would be an amazing way to end my last season playing volleyball.”

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

This is junior Alex Mitchell's third year on the Bear Facts staff and her first year as Editor in Chief. In addition to reporting and photographing, she...