Outdoor teams too hot to handle?

Raven Conatser, Reporter

Bastrop’s football, band, golf and color guard teams have recently been challenged by the hot Texas weather during practices and games. In the month of August, the temperature has seen highs above 100 degrees for all but three days. Heat is causing teams to lose their motivation due to fatigue as well as causing dehydration. “I’ve seen a lot of times where it makes us all like really tired, that we kind of want to quit because it’s so hot.” said Fowler.

Like Football, many teams practice long and rigorous hours outdoors to be acclimated to the heat during games situations. teams like football practice most outdoors, practicing long and hard hours on the field. This year, students are more tired, more than usual because the excessive 100-degree weather looming almost every day since summer.

“Sometimes I don’t like it, but in the end I like being in band,” sophomore band member Lauren Fowler said.

While many students feel too tired to go on, coaches have been working overtime at being supportive and keeping students hydrated and safe. In band, members are given mandatory water breaks during practices and during the sunniest part of the day, shade breaks to cool down.  

“Football has tons of pads they have to put on. I feel like they would just die in the heat,” freshman Color Guard member Aja Haywood stated. While football seems to generate the most sympathy, each outdoor group comes with other challenges like asphalt and thick full coverage uniforms.

“The hot weather really does affect how fast things move and how smoothly things move cause you kind of just want to relax.”

The main concern with the hot weather is that it will deter the students’ motivation to work their hardest. The students show that they would rather deal with the hot weather than give up on what they feel so passionately about.

“I think the heat can play a factor, mentally and physically. You know there are students that stand out. Like, a lot of guys came and worked out during the summer and I feel like those guys are excelling at a little more rapid pace than the other guys, but the other guys are defiantly coming along and they are getting acclimated as well,” said football and track coach John Ross. All you have to do is work hard to improve. “I think if you’re an athlete you have to take care of yourself and your body as well as you can. No dark sodas that would not keep you from getting dehydrated. Especially if the sport means something to you.”

Raven Conatser, Reporter

This is sophomore Raven Conatser first year on the Bear Facts staff. She likes to take pictures in her spare time.