“The Greatest Show on Earth.” Not just your average circus

The Greatest Showman is an original musical that tells of the uprising of the famous showman P.T Barnum, a visionary who rose from nothing, and his intriguing band of misfits. The Greatest Showman appeared in the theaters December 8.

Makayla Bryant, Entertainment Editor

The Greatest Showman begins with the dazzling song “The Greatest Show,” depicting the famous life of P.T Barnum (Hugh Jackman) after all of the chaos. The film then jumps into the next number “A Million Dreams,” showing Barnum as a young child who finds the love of his life, Charity (Michelle Williams), but ends up losing his beloved father in the process. Barnum soon becomes an orphan, fending for himself on the streets, until Charity comes back home. The two start their life together and everything seems to fall into place for their happiness, that is until Barnum loses his job. Barnum is desperate to find a better life for his family and ends up buying an old wax museum, hoping to attract people who are curious for the unknown. After

struggling to establish himself, Barnum launches out onto own, creating a theater in the heart of New York City. He gathers people with special talents as well as those with physical abnormalities, such as the bearded lady, Lettie Lutz (Keala Settle), the acrobats W.D. (Yahya Abdul-Mateen the second) and Anne (Zendaya) Wheeler, and the dwarf, Tom Thumb (Sam Humphrey) to be the stars of his new show. Along Barnum’s journey to fame, he picks up a business partner, Phillip Carlyle (Zac Efron) to help him further globalize his show. During this globalization, Carlyle gets Barnum and his circus to meet the Queen, where Barnum discovers the singing sensation, Jenny Lind (Rebecca Ferguson). Barnum begins to forget all about his show and the people who he has built relationships with while touring with Lind. Will Barnum be able to save his circus? Or will he be caught in the middle by fame and family?

After 146 years of the Barnum and Bailey circus, sadly on May 21, 2017, they folded up the tent for good. Maybe it was because of all of the controversy about animal abuse of the elephants or maybe it was because of all the criticism the show got. But no matter the reason, the Barnum and Bailey show will live on. The timing for this movie came out just in time to remember the remarkable journey of Barnum and his crew and their amazing, unpredictable experiences along the way. In the film, Barnum, with a simile, explains to a skeptical journalist, “People come to my show for the pleasure of being hoodwinked.” And I was indeed hoodwinked by “The Greatest Showman” as his legends lives on.

Makayla Bryant, Entertainment Editor

Junior Makayla Bryant is the Entertainment Editor for the Bear Facts for a second year and on the varsity golf team. Makayla is thinking about attending...