Changes in grade weight create new opportunities for incoming students

Taking+advantage+of+her+free+time%2C+sophomore+Taylor+King+finishes+up+her+Cornell+notes+for+her+AP+World+History+class.+The+AP+World+History+class+is+one+of+the+many+advanced+placement+courses+BHS+allows+for+students+to+take%2C+along+with+many+dual+credit+courses+that+students+can+choose+between.+%E2%80%9CI+decided+to+take+both+ACC+Dual+Credit+classes+and+AP+classes%2C%E2%80%9D+King+said.+%E2%80%9CThey%E2%80%99re+both+pretty+challenging+but+I+prefer+ACC+courses+over+AP+courses.%E2%80%9D+
Taking advantage of her free time, sophomore Taylor King finishes up her Cornell notes for her AP World History class. The AP World History class is one of the many advanced placement courses BHS allows for students to take, along with many dual credit courses that students can choose between. “I decided to take both ACC Dual Credit classes and AP classes,” King said. “They’re both pretty challenging but I prefer ACC courses over AP courses.”

2

1

Alex Mitchell, Photo Editor

Grading policies are a controversial topic between teachers, administration, students and parents. There are many complaints and grievances with the grading policy that go unattended to, but BHS hopes to fix many of those. They have decided to make changes in the grading policies to conform to the BISD district policies and fix complaints.

“The district has been looking at this for a while because dual credit classes are so important to a lot of students entering college wanting to go in with credits already,” Associate Principal Liz Wysocki said. “They’ve made this change to honor those students taking dual credit courses and encourage them to do so.”

The big change in the grading policy won’t affect current students. In the 2018-2019 school year, BHS will change the weight for certain higher level classes. AP courses will remain as weighed by 1.17, and Dual Credit courses will change to the same as AP classes’ weight of 1.17. This modification will only apply to students who are in the class of 2021 and beyond.

“Grade weights can affect my grades a lot because I care a lot about my ranking and GPA,” sophomore Zoey Croft said. “If the weight change would’ve affected my grade level, I probably would continue to take AP courses because I love the challenge of it. But I can understand why some people would choose to take the ACC route instead of the AP route.”

Many current students are envious of the incoming freshman class of 2021, wanting the change to apply to them also. Dual Credit classes are currently weighed at 1.15, which can bring down student’s rank or GPA when compared to others who are taking AP classes that are weighted at 1.17. The small difference of .02 can easily benefit or drawback students dramatically.

“I’m hoping it is going to encourage more students to take the ACC Dual Credit classes,” Wysocki said. “ACC is a cheaper way for students to get college credit and they should definitely take advantage of it.”

Dual Credit classes will most likely be seeing bigger class sizes and more students interested in it. This grade weight change will allow for more controlled class sizes and an even distribution of students between AP and Dual Credit classes.

“We’re offering a ton more classes and trying to get a lot more variety of classes for the students to be able to take,” Wysocki said. “We also allowed for sophomores to take ACC classes. We’re preparing for the new students taking ACC and encouraging students to take the ACC path.”

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

This is junior Alex Mitchell's third year on the Bear Facts staff and her first year as Editor in Chief. In addition to reporting and photographing, she...