Organizations bring joy to families for the holidays

Getting all the supplies ready, sophomores Jamie McPhaul (left) and Zoey Croft (right) sort utensils and plates they will provide for the family Student Council is “adopting.” StuCo has participated in the Adopt a Family project the past year, and will also participate this year. “We did a really good job last year, but this year we plan to blow last year’s baskets out of the water,” McPhaul said.

Alex Mitchell, Photo Editor

Many families right here in Bastrop are not able to celebrate the joy and extravagance of the holidays due to financial constraints, but Bastrop’s Student Council, FCA, and a couple other organizations are looking to care for those in this situation with the philanthropy, Adopt-A-Family. Adopt-A-Family allows for families in the community who are struggling and in need to have an amazing holiday season, no matter their circumstances. 

“Each family writes a wishlist of what they want, like gift cards, board games, or toys, and also what they need, like basic necessities and goods,” social worker, Barbara Gaona said. “This project came over from the middle school and we use it as a way to benefit our student families that are struggling and could use our help during the holidays.”

The project is a way for families in Bastrop to have an elaborate Thanksgiving they may not be able to have if not for this project. A person or club takes on the duty of proving one family, or more if they chose, with a Thanksgiving meal and a few extra goodies. Then the baskets are all gathered, by the counselors and social worker, and brought to families in need all over the area, in time for the holiday season.

“We are asking for donations and also coming together to provide goods for the family,” Croft said. “It takes time and dedication, but it’s totally worth it knowing we are providing so much for a family in need.”

Student Council has participated in this project for two years and has done generous and  exceptional work. Last year, the organization was able to fill five laundry baskets with food, tableware, and other treats for a local family. They filled each basket generously with good, like a turkey, coffee, blankets, and silverware.

“This year we plan to go even farther above and beyond than what we did last year,” Croft said. “We want to help provide for them for not only Thanksgiving, but also Christmas. We plan to get Christmas things like a tree and lights for them to decorate and really get into the holiday spirit.”

Fellowship of Christian Athletes, or FCA, is also a large school organization that is taking part in the spirit of giving. Although FCA has not adopted a family before, they aren’t letting their inexperience with the project stop their success. The organization has plans to ask for donations and for members and leaders to bring in things for the family too.

“Being an FCA leader also, I know how excited we’ve been to do this project,” Croft said. “Seeing how amazing StuCo did last year, we really wanted to be a part of the project and  allow a family to have an amazing holiday. I can’t imagine not being able to celebrate the holidays because of finances, so I’m really glad we’re participating in this project.”

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

This is junior Alex Mitchell's third year on the Bear Facts staff and her first year as Editor in Chief. In addition to reporting and photographing, she...