Teaching Across the World

Theresa Zinda takes a picture with her husband and daughter in front of the Terracotta soldiers in Beijing, China.

Demonaye Rector, Editor

How many teachers can say they have the experience and expertise to teach half way across the world? Teresa Zinda taught in the states for many years before she made the impressive move to China. “I taught at the St. Paul American School in Beijing, China,” said English teacher Theresa Zinda. “It was fascinating to teach kids from Russia, China, South Korea, Africa and other places in the world.”

When visiting somewhere unfamiliar, your views and experiences change. Teaching and living somewhere unfamiliar males a person adapt in ways they thought they never would. “Being able to teach there changed my view of people and changed my view of the world. It allowed me to see a different culture and experience it and it was wonderful.” Zinda commented.

“This will be my 20th year teaching. I’ve taught every subject: Social Studies, US history, World History, AP, Pre-AP, Psychology, Sociology, Government, Economics and Geography. I also taught Language Arts, eight through eleventh grade,” Zinda said.

With such an impressive resume, Bastrop High has been lucky to snag such a diverse and seasoned teacher.

After teaching in many different schools with many diverse populations and personalities’ zinda learned to adapt to her students. “Everybody learns differently. Some people are kinesthetic learners, which mean that they learn through body movement and experience things, some people are visual learners, and some people learn by just listening. So you have to alternate the way you teach so that each student that has a different learning style, has an opportunity to appreciate what you’re trying to teach them,” Zinda said.

When asked how she likes BHS compared to her past foods, “The faculty is extremely friendly and most of the students have been wonderful,” Zinda expressed.

Like any great teacher, she has goals to encourage and inspire. “My goal for the students here is to help them achieve, be the best that they can be, be successful and become more articulate,” Zinda said. “Those who didn’t pass the star test, I hope that after this year that they’ll be able to.”