Proposed bond to benefit BHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Proposed bond to benefit BHS

This leaky roof in the B-Hall is one example of the issues that BHS currently experiences. The bond would provide funds to repair this and other problems, as well as benefiting the school in other ways.

Minka Atkinson, Editor-in-chief

Bastrop ISD citizens will be able to vote on the passing of a bond at the November 7 bond election, or through early voting lasting from October 23 to November 3. The proposed bond will provide a total of $88 million district wide, with about $15 million set aside specifically for renovations at BHS. These renovations would include improvements to infrastructure, updates to the building’s exterior, turf for Erhard field and another practice field, and a wing containing 12 new classrooms to replace the portables, which will be removed.

“It’ll be an updated, more modern high school that will start to meet the needs of the kids as they come in,” principal Bradley Brown said. “It benefits the community because we’ll be giving a solid education to kids and hopefully they go out and become great community members when they graduate.”

While some specifics of how the bond will be used won’t be discussed until after it passes, current plans include new roofing, flooring, ceilings, and lighting as well as renovations for art classrooms.

“It’s really important that schools get money to improve their buildings because if the classrooms are falling apart it’s really hard for students to focus,” senior Lily Ellzey said.

The baseball and softball teams will benefit as well with renovations to the baseball field, and both baseball and softball locker rooms and restrooms.

“I know that it’s probably going to be a good thing for BISD,” senior Caleb Boujemaa said. “The baseball field is going to get some nice benefits, which is nice because I’m part of the baseball team.”

One major change will be to relocate the choir program back to the main campus instead of their current location at west campus.

“With west campus eventually becoming the third middle school, we’re going to have to find room to bring the choir back here,” Brown said. “There’s been several options talked about, but we’re definitely going to have to incorporate choir back onto this campus so that we get them the space that they need and deserve.”

Improving the school facilities is expected to make Bastrop more attractive to potential residents.

“Having upgraded and safe and effective facilities is good advertisement for people who want to move into this area,” coach Cary Champagne said. “I feel like it presents us in a better light. It makes us a more attractive place for people to want to move, and right now the Austin market’s so hot, Bastrop tends to benefit from that if we are a desirable location for them to go.”

Many teachers and students are excited about putting the bond money to good use.

“I hate to say that I’m gungho about it, but I feel like it’s probably a good proposal,” Champagne said. “As a teacher it’s hard to turn down money for the facilities where you work and to promote the image of the town where you live. So overall, I feel like it’s a positive step in the right direction.”

Some people, however, oppose the bond because they expect large tax increases.

“My mom hates it,” junior Abby Reinhardt said. “She says it’s going to make the property taxes go up a lot, and a whole lot of other taxes go up because of all the money they’re putting into it.”

But despite its scope, the bond is expected to have a very small impact on taxpayers, with an average tax increase of about 2 cents per month.

“We’re in a really good economic swing right now, so I believe that it has a lot of great opportunities that it’s going to offer Bastrop Independent School District,” coach Abigail Blunt said.

The bond has become necessary due to the growth BISD has experienced in the past few years, which made it a fast growth district according to the state of Texas.

“I don’t think the district would ask for anything that is not a need,” Brown said. ‘A lot of districts want a lot of things. This is actually a need to accommodate the growth of our district.”

More information about voting locations and the bond in general can be found under the “bond 2017” link on the BISD website, or by calling the Communications Office.

“Just get out and vote, that’s the biggest thing,” Brown said.

Minka Atkinson, Editor-in-Chief

Editor-in-Chief Minka Atkinson is a senior. This is Minka's third year on the Bear Facts staff. In addition to working for the Bear Facts, she is a member...