Bear Stage Theatre Company’s hard work pays off

The musical cast of Little Shop of Horrors went to the elementary schools and preschools in the area to perform the show for the younger students. The Bear Stage Company performed for different feeder schools, so the students could experience a shorter version of the show and also the cast could have a chance to perform in front of an audience before opening night.

Alex Mitchell, Photo Editor

Thanks to the Bear Stage Theatre Company, suddenly Seymour and his friends were a big hit at Bastrop High School. With practices starting before school began, the musical cast worked many days to prepare and perfect the show.

“We worked on Little Shop of Horrors for quite some time,” junior Sarah Cadena said. “We had auditions at the end of last year, and we rehearsed throughout the duration of the summer. Our directors pushed us to our maximum potential and then some, helping every person in the cast grow as an actor/technician.”

Bear Stage Theatre Company began by forming the ideal cast last school year and held many practices each week to make sure everyone was ready for the big day. In addition to practices, they participated in acting/tech classes during the school day to further improve their acting and technical theatre skills.

“We practiced three days a week, and rehearsals ran anywhere from 3 to 6 hours,” Cadena said. “The extensive rehearsals may seem draining, but was good preparation for the UIL One Act Play we produce in the spring. Countless hours, water bottles, and tears, of joy obviously, went into making this grand production we hope all audiences enjoyed.”

Recently, Bear Stage Theatre Company acquired a new director and assistant director. Mandi Tapia and Kelsey Schmitz, the new directors have worked together with the cast and the company to flawlessly pull off Little Shop of Horrors. The directors and cast made amazing bonds improving the show, and each actor/actress personally.

“My favorite part of theatre so far has been growing up as a person and an actress, with so many people I love and adore,” said Grace Estes, who plays Audrey, one of the main characters. “The male lead in our show, Hunter Anderson, and our director, Mrs.Tapia, have both helped me so much. I can’t think of anyone who has helped me through this show more than Hunter. Also Mrs.Tapia has been so amazing and is definitely one of my favorite people in the entire world. She noticed me when I didn’t have a voice and took a chance on me when nobody would.”

Bear Stage Theatre Company also worked on growing their organization, while preparing and practicing for the musical. On September 9, they held a Night Among the Stars showcase and fundraiser that raised $2,000 for their company. A booster club was created this year to support the company.

“Currently, Bear Stage Theatre Company is growing and thriving with all sorts of events and activities that keep students in all areas of theatre busy,” Cadena said. “Our Director, Mandi Tapia, and our Technical Director, Kelsey Schmitz, have been extremely passionate in working to help this program grow and thrive for many years to come. As vice president of our troupe, I’m very proud to see that we are moving towards the future and, in the words of our previous directors Jeanie and Guillermo DeLeon, we want to prove to the community and everyone that ‘Every stage is a Bear Stage’.”