Homecoming parade, pep rally and football game amps up school spirit in Bastrop

During+halftime%2C+senior+Brylie+Mutschink+was+crowned+Bastrop%E2%80%99s+2017+Homecoming+Queen.+Following+tradition%2C+last+year%E2%80%99s+queen%2C+Sterling+Ellison%2C+presented+the+crown+to+Mutschink+to+show+the+literal+%E2%80%9Cpassing+down+of+the+crown.%E2%80%9D+
Back to Article
Back to Article

During halftime, senior Brylie Mutschink was crowned Bastrop’s 2017 Homecoming Queen. Following tradition, last year’s queen, Sterling Ellison, presented the crown to Mutschink to show the literal “passing down of the crown.”

Alex Mitchell, Photo Editor

Homecoming has been a tradition in Bastrop and has brought pride and spirit for decades. Many local residents come together with BHS to support a fun-filled week that includes a parade, the community pep rally, also known as The Burning of the B, a dance and finally the big football game under the Friday night lights.

“Homecoming builds spirit, continues tradition, strengthens the school, and it gives everyone a reason to bond with their class, and make amazing memories,” Student Council adviser, Megan Hancock said. “Homecoming was one of my favorite things when I was in high school, so I really want to make sure all of our kids are able to feel the exact same way.”

There are many different events going on during the week, but the homecoming parade is a fan favorite. Student cohorts, athletes, schools, businesses and other organizations make floats to be driven in the parade down downtown Bastrop’s Main Street. Many locals sit on the sidewalks, in front yards, or anywhere they can find to get a good view of the parade.

“I love the entire homecoming week, but the parade is always really awesome,” Hancock said. “All the way to building the float, the Burning of the B afterwards, and seeing the community really come together is so great to experience.”

The “Burning of the B,” which takes place right after the parade, it is a community wide pep rally that has many fun activities for everyone to participate in. There are games, performances, and the literal burning of a large wooden letter B. During this time, Bastrop HS announces the Duke and Duchesses of every underclass grade and the annual King and Queen nominees.

“I really like the parade and the pep rally, because I love seeing how excited everyone gets for homecoming,” junior Duke, Nick Newell said.

The grand homecoming finale is the long awaited football game at the end of the week. Everyone wears their mums and garters, and dress from head to toe in maroon to support the BHS football team. This year, the Bastrop Bears took on the Elgin Wildcats at Memorial Stadium, to continued the 1917 rivalry. This year the Bears took a hard fought lost against the Wildcats, to make rthe record 26-26-2.  That night at Memorial, the winners for homecoming king and queen and crown them during halftime. This year, the winners of homecoming King and Queen were Cody Vinklarek and Brylie Mutschink. Along with the king and queen, they also announce each member of the homecoming court from each grade.

“Last year I was freshman duchess and it was a really fun experience and I made some of my favorite memories last homecoming,” sophomore Zoey Croft said. “I loved being in the parade and all the festivities, and it was really fun to be able to represent my class and be more than just a part of the crowd. I was and still am really glad I was chosen to be on last year’s homecoming court.”

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

This is junior Alex Mitchell's third year on the Bear Facts staff and her first year as Editor in Chief. In addition to reporting and photographing, she...