Girls golf team striving for district

Junior+Zoe+Robinson+lines+up+the+golf+ball+strategically+with+the+hole+so+that+she+is+able+to+make+the+putt+in+one+shot.+
Junior Zoe Robinson lines up the golf ball strategically with the hole so that she is able to make the putt in one shot.

Makayla Bryant, Entertainment Editor

Placing sixth in their tournament at Colovista on Oct. 5th and placing 4th on their tournament in Pflugerville Oct.16, the girl’s golf team is striving to become better each and every day, hoping to place in district this year.

“The golf courses are beautiful and fun to play, especially Legends in Burnett County.” Senior Erin Malone said. “But there are other courses, such as the Concan Country club, that are hard to play and super long.”

Though the team isn’t very big this year, the girls are giving the sport their all. They practice every single day for at least an hour to two hours in order to prepare for upcoming tournaments that could qualify them in district.

“Golf has had a huge impact in my life.” Junior Zoe Robinson said. “It has given me structure and more to look at in life. It has given me goals to accomplish and future dreams to achieve.”

Even though the season has barely started, the girls have a lot to look forward to as the season

progresses. Each player is allowed to play in a total of nine tournaments including district. Some of these tournaments are only one day, where they play eighteen holes. Others are two day tournaments where the team must play a total of thirty-six holes in two days.

“The team has been totally different from the first two years I’ve played and I thoroughly enjoy each of them.” Robinson said. “They all get better as the year progresses because they all have amazing potential.”

Both Malone and Robinson said that their greatest inspiration for playing golf has been their family. For Malone, her father and her brother have played golf since they were young and she’s always wanted a way to get closer to them.  Robinson said her main inspiration comes from her father, grandfather, and grandmother, all of whom have been playing golf since they can remember.

“Golf has made me a more focused and driven person.” Malone said. “It has taught me endurance and mental toughness. Golf is mainly a mind game. Without a positive attitude, your game will not be good.”