Faith on the field creates a stronger community

October+11%2C+students+from+all+over+Bastrop+County+gather+at+Bastrop+High+school%E2%80%99s+Erhard+field+to+pray+over+one+another+in+all+aspects+of+life.+
October 11, students from all over Bastrop County gather at Bastrop High school’s Erhard field to pray over one another in all aspects of life.

Makayla Bryant, Entertainment Editor

Fields of Faith is a student led event where students from all over the community come together to pray, worship and challenge their peers to grow stronger in Christ. It is an opportunity for student to share their testimonies and ultimately help others to follow Jesus Christ.

“It’s a good feeling to see our community come together and get fired up for God,” Sophomore Will Kirk said. “It is a fun way to bring people together in worship and prayer.”

Fields of Faith was inspired in 2002 when an Oklahoma Fellowship of Christian Athletes director, Jeff Martin, prayed about the struggles and challenges tempting today’s youth. In 2004, his prayer came true when more than 6,000 students gathered on school athletic fields throughout Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas for the first annual Fields of Faith. Since that day, hundreds of thousands of people have attended Fields of Faith and thousands have accepted Christ as lord

and savior.

“Every time I’ve come to Fields of Faith, it has been a huge turning point for me and always directs me towards Jesus.” Junior Ava Gomez said.

Fields of Faith has been established in Bastrop for six years and has grown exponentially every year. Schools from all over Bastrop County such as middle schools and high schools from Bastrop, Cedar creek and Smithville, the Colorado River Collegiate Academy, and Tribe, participate in the yearly festivities.

“Fields of Faith is so powerful because it is a giant place of prayer and worship with our school and the neighboring schools,” Sophomore Mary Smalley said. “It’s basically one huge pep rally for Christ.”

Fields of Faith has had an amazing impact on the lives so many students. Hopefully, in the years to come, Fields of Faith will continue to multiply in participants and the number of student lives changed.

“My faith is the foundation of who I am and I wouldn’t be who I am without it.” Gomez said. “I think Fields of Faith inspires me to go beyond my faith and inspire others around me.”