Star athletes share their success secrets, dreams

As the crowd cheers for the JV volleyball team, Caitlyn Ingram focuses on her coach critiques in order to win the game against Cedar Creek. The BHS JV volleyball team dominated Cedar Creek’s JV team with a win in 2 sets. “We’ve been playing really good lately and I feel like Caitlyn, along with the rest of the freshmen, are great additions to the team,” JV player, Reagan Ferem said.

Alex Mitchell, Photo Editor

Under the bright Friday night lights, on the court, or on the running course, there are always those athletes that shine and stand out. Dreyson Watters, Caitlyn Ingram and Milo Reyna, in their each individual sports, have stood out to the crowd because of their undeniable talent. They dedicate their time to their sports and it has payed off for them.

“I had the opportunity to play on JV as a freshman and I am so thankful for it,” Ingram said. “ I’m really honored and blessed to be on a team with older people. They have helped make me a better player and person, and I have been able to grow and learn so much from them. It’s been intimidating at times to play with and against such talented players, but it is still an unforgettable and amazing experience.”

These athletes not only dedicate their time to one sport, but multiple sports. Watters runs track and plays both football and baseball, Ingram runs track and plays volleyball, and Reyna runs cross country, track and plays soccer. They use their other sports to help prepare and improve them overall.

“Cross Country has helped me out in soccer the past 2 years because it has improved my endurance, so I can last longer on the field and my team can always depend on me to chase the ball down,” Reyna said.

Watters, Ingram and Reyna have all been playing their sport since they were young and dedicate their summers and free time to improving. They attend the BHS Strength & Conditioning camp over summer, and other camps that can further their athletic abilities.

“I’ve always prepared myself for football season by going to summer workouts to better myself physically, and I go to lots of camps to learn things like better passing,” Watters said.

These athletes have big hopes for their high school athletic careers, and also after high school. Both Reyna and Watters hope to go to  Division 1 colleges for their sports. With their big dreams, they have to work hard all the time.

“I never miss practice, get as much sleep as possible and work hard every practice and during the summer,” Reyna said. “In a district as tough as the one we’re in, you can’t afford to be lazy and not work hard.”