“Family is where we are.” The Glass Castle’s dysfunctional family mess shows the beauty behind the trauma.

%E2%80%9CThe+Glass+Castle%E2%80%9D+is+an+adaption+of+the+memoir+of+the+journalist+Jeanette+Walls+as+it+follows+her+through+her+rough+journey+through+childhood+to+her+apparently+easily+life+as+an+adult.++It+tells+the+story+of+a+dysfunctional+family+and+the+troubles+behind+the+appearance.+
“The Glass Castle” is an adaption of the memoir of the journalist Jeanette Walls as it follows her through her rough journey through childhood to her apparently easily life as an adult.  It tells the story of a dysfunctional family and the troubles behind the appearance.

“The Glass Castle” is an adaption of the memoir of the journalist Jeanette Walls as it follows her through her rough journey through childhood to her apparently easily life as an adult. It tells the story of a dysfunctional family and the troubles behind the appearance.

Makayla Bryant, Entertainment Editor

Based off of the memoir of the former New York gossip columnist, Jeannette Walls, the recent film “The Glass Castle” is the story of Jeannette (Brie Larson) recalling her childhood memories of poverty, uncertainty, and neglect. Being one of four children of an abusive, alcoholic father (Woody Harrelson) and a self-centered artist mother (Naomi Watts), Jeannette had to learn to fend for herself and care for her siblings at a young age. The movie flashes between Jeannette’s years as a child, teenager, and her adulthood in 1989, where she seemingly found a job as a gossip columnist. During her times as a child and teenager, Jeannette and her family moved from town to town as she struggled to find her place in the world. As a child, Jeannette, idolized her father as a brilliant man who can see through the order of society and glimpse at a better life beyond it, promising to build their “Glass Castle”. But as she grows older she truly sees the truth behind him and at the verge of adulthood, she leaves to New York to start her aspiring career as a

journalist.

“The Glass Castle” is a heart-wrenching film that tells the story of Jeanette Walls’ unforgettable childhood. Though the movie wasn’t as vivid and in your face as the book, the film still is emotionally complicated and just as compelling. In all honesty, Brie Larson successfully captures the essence of the memoir with exceptionally potent work from Woody Harrelson and Naomi Watts as the selfish and spirited parents who rebel against society.

Director Destin Daniel Cretton engineered certain aspects of the film that honors the complicated truth behind the original story. Shuffling between moments of neglect, beauty, pain, rage, and utter joy, the film certainly remain true in inspiring themes.

Ultimately, “The Glass Castle” is a powerful and moving story that ties up all of the ugliness with a beautiful bow that doesn’t exactly fit.