Student council honors lost friend through helping others

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taking time out of her lunch, sophomore Jamie McPhaul sorts through new donations for Christian’s Closet. “We get donations so frequently that we are always having to go through them and pick out the best clothes to put in the closet,” McPhaul said. Within a month, BHS Student Council has been able to fill Christian’s Closet at BMS, CCHS, and the original location at Bastrop High School.

Alex Mitchell, Photo Editor

Everyone knows the name Christian Harman, the loving, caring, and helpful soul who many people called a friend. This summer, Christian unexpectedly died at the shore with his friends. There was a hole left in everyone in the community. Knowing such an kind and caring person who was gone so young and suddenly, Student Council has found a way to honor Christian and patch part of the hole, through an up and coming community service project.

“We’ve always had the idea of doing a “care closet” as almost a “Bears Who Care phase 2,” and then everything with Christian happened over the summer and it made perfect sense to name it after him,” Mrs.Hancock said.

Just as Christian did, StuCo plans to help many people all over the community and leave a lasting impact on them. The project to serves the community by providing an opportunity for students and families in need at BHS, BMS, and CCHS to easily obtain clothing and accessories. Within the first month of operation, Christian’s Closet has served 20 people within the community.

“The main goal of Christian’s Closet is to leave Christian’s legacy as someone who would’ve helped anyone, and we’re doing that by helping others in need,” StuCo officer, Zoey Croft said. “StuCo hopes to let Christian’s story be known far and wide, while leaving an impact. We’ve started by providing many students and families with clothes, who otherwise wouldn’t have any and having news stations come in so we can spread the word to everyone in need in the area.”

Everyday StuCo receives many  bags of donated clothing for Christian’s Closet. With the abundant amount of donations, Christian’s Closet has been able to spread throughout the district to BMS and CCHS. Currently Christian’s Closet is only a few racks and shelves in the StuCo classroom, but there are bigger hopes for it.

“So far StuCo has collected tons of clothes for the closet, and it is starting to become something much bigger than just the StuCo room,” Croft said. “The next step is to branch out to as many schools as possible, like we have with BMS and CCHS, and find a bigger space to expand the program and reach as many people as possible.”

With Christian’s Closet StuCo hopes to leave a huge impact and help out the community.  If anyone is in need of clothing, accessories, or personal items, Christian’s Closet is located in Room 902 and is open to any and everyone. Whether it is just one student or a family of six, StuCo is ready to help and serve, just as Christian would have done.

“By Christian’s Closet helping students at BHS, it’s helping better the culture of our school,” Hancock said. “Not all kids are able to get all their needs met at home, so StuCo uses not only Christian’s Closet, but also Bears Who Care as a way to meet those students’ needs. And ultimately we hope us helping them out will encourage them to want to pay it forward and help out others, just like we’re paying it forward to Christian.”

Alex Mitchell, Editor in Chief

This is junior Alex Mitchell's third year on the Bear Facts staff and her first year as Editor in Chief. In addition to reporting and photographing, she...