Block schedule improves learning

Back to Article
Back to Article

Block schedule improves learning

BHS currently uses a traditional seven period class schedule. A block schedule would have fewer classes in a single day, usually four,  but more time for each class.

BHS currently uses a traditional seven period class schedule. A block schedule would have fewer classes in a single day, usually four, but more time for each class.

Noah Zike, Reporter

The schedule now has seven classes every day while a block schedule alternates four classes every other day. A normal seven class schedule doesn’t allow enough time for students to get classwork done and it earns the students fewer credits.

Block schedules can help students be more successful.

A block schedule allows the students to get extra credits towards graduation because the students have an extra class they can take each year. The normal seven class schedule is not the best decision if the students wants to be successful. Block schedules allow more class time and more time for students to finish up work they had that class period. The more time students will have the better the school’s graduation rating will be. So if the school wants to be successful the school should get a block schedule.

With block schedules teachers will get to know their students better, better understand of the students study habits, and how they learn the best, because the teachers would spend more time with their students. Classes would have longer lesson plans so if the students finished early they would be able to get any work done from another class. Grades would be better since students could finish everything in class and not have to worry about homework. Students would have longer time to finish projects could put more work into the project, meaning they’ll get a better grade.

Teachers who teach algebra, geometry, chemistry, or biology would be able to teach more in a single class period because they have an extra 30 to 35 minutes of class. They could put two days of work into a single class period with the block schedule.

Block schedules can help students be more successful in school. The superintendent should pitch the idea of a block schedule to the school board.