Students learn better in smaller classes

Amara Martinez, Reporter

When a student enters the school system they are expected to push themselves forward with the knowledge handed to them through notes, books, and the teacher. However, when a student has a difficult time understanding the curriculum, a teacher is expected to swoop in to save the day. This can become a hard task when the teacher has a class filled with students.

Teachers with large classes have to grade a significant number of papers in a short period of time. This stresses both students and teachers. BHS faces this problem in many of the classes, particularly in the core classes. Administrators need to look over the class sizes and put together a solution to give students a better chance at exceeding possibilities.

Many teachers face an average of 24 students per class, leaving a variety of students that may need help with schoolwork. However, with a larger class comes minds that all work differently and  it can be challenge to reach every student. As geometry and algebra teacher Lindsey Mosley said, it’s difficult to ensure that all students are actually understanding the lessons. Smaller classes allow for teachers to reach every student in the need of help.

The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) reports that students who have been in smaller classes since elementary school tend to be as much as one to two months ahead those who weren’t. Parents Across America reports that smaller classes tend to have higher test scores and attendance rates. Any reduction to a class size increases the likelihood that students stay on-task and engage in the work.

Christina Terway, a sophomore at BHS, said that she can struggle in her classes that are full. The teachers have to focus on calming the rambunctious students and it takes too much time out of class. Some students require more one-on-one time with the teacher.

In order for students to begin to receive the required attention, classes would need to downsize. Reducing class sizes requires money. While there would be a short-term cost, class reduction would benefit the school in the end. Class size tends to play a significant factor in a parent’s decision whether or not to send their children to private schools. In fact the NCTE reports that 48.9 percent of parents said they prefer “smaller class sizes” and 39.3 percent said they want “more individual attention for my child.”

The argument that reducing class sizes costs too much is minuscule when it comes to the matter that education is a crucial part of an individual’s development. When the public ignores plans to scale down class sizes it potentially reduces students’ chances of earning better scores and grades. School boards need to look further into their guidelines on the size of a class and create policies to ensure that every student is receiving the best chance at prevailing. These students are the future and every measure should be taken to push them to success so that they may progress the future.

Amara Martinez, Reporter

Sophomore Amara Martinez is a reporter for BHS Today. Her favorite subject is English and she has been in theater classes for two years. Next year Amara...