Students need time to recover

Sophomore Makenzie Clawson turns in her excuse letter after school so she can be excused for the day she missed.
“We need more days to miss. It’s not fair,” Clawson said.

Sophomore Makenzie Clawson turns in her excuse letter after school so she can be excused for the day she missed. “We need more days to miss. It’s not fair,” Clawson said.

Abby Reinhardt, Reporter

When a student misses more than 10 days, the student needs to start making up days even if the absences are excused. At 19 days the student loses credit for the semester. Some students do miss school because of valid reasons. Yes, students are excused for missing for surgeries and other problems that involve their health.

The number of days the student can miss should be raised to 15 instead of 10. It gives the students a time to breathe and not to stress out when they are sick. According to William Crain, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at City College of New York and the author of reclaiming childhood, students are getting more school-related illnesses, for example, stomachaches, sleep problems and depression. On average in BHS a student misses 5-10 days of school.

Even the students who have perfect attendance need a day to be sick without being punished or having to be stressed. Some students come to school sick because they don’t want to miss school and have to make up hours. Students need time to rest or time to recover from the illness. Students go to school sick because they don’t want to miss a lot of days and they don’t want to make up hours in Saturday school or lose credit for the semester.

The reason the school district has the attendance policy is because the district loses money each day a student misses. However, when a student needs to make up a class it costs the school district money to have to pay the teacher for extra hours and the course the student took.

The number of days students can miss without losing credit should be raised to 15 because there just isn’t enough time for the student to be sick and not have to worry about making up a class.

The state board of education needs to give the students more time to miss to 15 days because a lot of benefits would come out of it.

Abby Reinhardt, Reporter

Sophomore Abby Reinhardt is a reporter for BHS Today. She would like to attend Blinn or A&M after graduation to become a teacher. She also plays in...