PALS Flock for a cause

Back to Article
Back to Article

PALS Flock for a cause

Instructional coach Amanda Hudspeth is surprised to find her office flocked on April 13. The flamingos stay in each room for one day as a fundraiser for the PALS Relay for life team.

DeMoNaye Rector, Reporter

PALS has raised approximately $500 for the Relay for Life, held on May 19. Relay for life is a fundraiser where people raise money for the American Cancer Society.

“The flocking is a fundraiser for our Relay for Life team,” Ian Jaschek said. “It was a big success last year so we decided to continue the flocking.”

The process is pretty simple.

“People sign up other people to get flocked, so what we do is we get their address and when they’re not there we go and put the flamingos in their yard as a surprise,” junior Raven Meeks said.

As for flocking within the school, it’s a little different.

“We have to go when the teacher isn’t there so it’s kind of hard but it’s fun,” Meeks said. “It takes probably 30 to 45 minutes.”

Addionally, another fundraiser they do for Relay for Life is the “50/50 tickets.”

“50/50 tickets are when we sell tickets and then we draw a winner and they get half the money and PALS gets the other half,” Meeks said.

PALS has done everything to reach their goal of $1200.

“When I got flocked by Ms. Bennett, I actually counter flocked her,” English teacher Lori Hendrix said. “I walked in my room and I flicked the light on and looked up and I was like ‘What the heck.’ It kind of scared me at first, then I realized what it was and I laughed. I looked over on the board and it said ‘You’ve been flocked by Ms. Bennett. Pay her back!’ I was irritated. They got a lovely picture of me at my desk with a flamingo hitting me in the face looking super irritated. But then I really liked it, so I paid $5 more to have it up another day. Between the both of us raised about $35 just from pranking each other for a great cause like Relay for Life so it was really fun.”

DeMoNaye Rector, Campus Life Editor

Junior DeMoNaye Rector is the Campus Life Editor for the Bear Facts. She also plays volleyball, basketball, soccer and track for BHS and would like to...