Summer assignments put unnecessary burden on students, teachers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taking advantage of his free time, freshman Levi Long gets an early start on his summer assignment for his Pre-AP English 2 class. Long was not sure about which book to read, but finally set his mind on

Taking advantage of his free time, freshman Levi Long gets an early start on his summer assignment for his Pre-AP English 2 class. Long was not sure about which book to read, but finally set his mind on "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. “I don’t like the summer reading assignments, but since I had to do it I decided I might as well do a book I’m interested in and will enjoy,” Long said.

Alex Mitchell, Reporter

Summer is supposed to be a time for students to relax and not have to worry about school work, but when there is a summer assignment for them to finish, students can’t do that. Every summer, students in grades 7-12 have to take part of their summer to complete summer assignments.

Summer assignments are ultimately useless, unnecessary, and need to be gotten rid of. Students should not have to take time out of their break to work on more school work.

The purpose of summer assignments is to keep students’ brains fresh even when they are not in school. But this plan that teachers and administrators have does not always turn out as expected. Some students take a different route and copy their friend’s work, do it the first week of school, or don’t even do it at all. So the reasoning of “keeping their mind fresh” is invalid for some students.

Summer assignments take up a large portion of students’ summer, but students and their families have other things to do in the summer, like vacation and travelling. Because of summer assignments, students either have to cut their vacation short or bring their assignments with them. Also some students have jobs during the summer. They have the inconvenience of having to take off work so they can finish their assignments.

Summer assignments aren’t the easiest thing to figure out for students. Some students who are new to AP or Pre-AP don’t understand the assignment, but have no one to ask about it. They then have to chose between guessing on what to do, or waiting till the first week of school to get their answers. That sets them up to have to worry about if they’re wrong or rushing last minute to finish.

Students have endless complaints about how much they hate summer assignments and how much of an annoying liability they are, but it’s not only the students that have to go through the trouble of summer assignments. Teachers have to start off the year with reminding students to turn in their summer assignments and forcing some to do theirs. Teachers also have to grade about 150 summer projects every year.

Though many administrators think that students may forget what they learned without summer assignments, an easy solution to that is to just encourage reading over the summer. Even giving a book list that the teachers suggest they read and that would help them that upcoming year is better than a summer project.

Students should not have to stress over finishing summer assignments instead of enjoying their break. Students already worry about grades and work during the school year, so why should they have more to worry about during the summer too? BISD should stop the unnecessary, extra work for students, and start giving them a real break without assignments and the stress of school.