Students Prepare For Dangers of Summer Driving

As summer approaches, sophomore Grace Monk is extra careful when driving, keeping her eyes on the road. Monk knows the importance of being aware of her surroundings and advises her peers to do the same, especially in the traffic of summer.

Zoe Picciandra

Zoe Picciandra

Zoe Picciandra, Reporter

After enduring months of icy weather and and finally hearing the school bell ring, signaling the start of summer, many teens drivers hit the road worry-free and ready to have fun. While most seem to worry about driving on slippery roads in winter, many teens often overlook the real dangers that come with driving in the summer.

“Summer is a lot more dangerous because more kids are out of school and more families are traveling and taking vacations,” said Dexter Carter, a BISD police officer.

If a student is hitting the road for the first time, what happens in their car isn’t the only thing they should worry about.

“You should definitely be more careful of other drivers, people texting, playing loud music,” Carter said. “As a young driver you’re not as aware of what’s going on around you and this leads to many teen car accidents.”

With no school to worry about, summer increases the likelihood of underage drinking and driving. Whether it is a teen drinking and driving or another driver on the road, intoxication is a big problem in the summer.

“There are more alcohol-involved accidents and more intoxicated people on the roads,” Carter said.

With summer around the corner, it’s good to keep in mind that there are many precautions that can be taken to have both a fun and safe summer.

“My main advice is don’t text and drive,” Carter said. “Pay attention to your surroundings. Drive at a safe speed. If you are a new driver and you have friends in your car make sure everyone is aware that you are a young driver and you need to keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.”

With many families on vacation, roads will be more congested and can be dangerous with impatient drivers on the road, especially in unfamiliar areas. This can be a dangerous environment for teen drivers like senior Noah Wehr.

“Summer can be a lot more dangerous with everyone all leaving one place when school gets out,” Wehr said. “Everyone is rushing to go on vacations and don’t watch their surroundings and that’s where you get in an accident.”

Along with the summer nights come later curfews which lead to late night driving, an overlooked and underestimated hazard for teenagers.

“If you are not an experienced driver, don’t get on the roads at night,” Wehr said. “You need to be extremely alert at night because that’s when people are more likely to fall asleep at the wheel or drive while intoxicated.”

Zoe Picciandra, Reporter

Zoe Picciandra is a junior at BHS. She is active in the theater program at school, the Bastrop Opera House, and Zachary Scott Theater in Austin. She is...