GSA benefits all students

Back to Article
Back to Article

GSA benefits all students

Counselor Sarah Key patrols the 200 hall at lunch. Earlier this year Key was interested in re-establishing the GSA at BHS.

Scott Stephenson, Reporter

Most people do not associate the south as being very open minded or accepting when concerning LGBT rights. However, BHS is a relatively accepting campus. The LGBT students at BHS face little discrimination for their sexuality. However, many still feel uncomfortable being themselves at school or are not comfortable using the bathrooms that they would like to.

BHS used to have a Gay Straight Alliance, where any student could go and feel welcomed. It was a place where the LGBT students could meet other LGBT students and make friends, as well as improve the atmosphere at BHS. In recent years the Gay Straight Alliance has had fewer and fewer people attending its meetings. Because of declining membership, the GSA no longer exists. The LGBT students at BHS need a GSA.

Many of the LGBT and straight students agree that BHS needs a support group where everyone feels welcome. GSA is a place where everyone can be themselves and make friends, while making a difference in their community and in their school. In previous years GSA has failed due to low attendance and lack of interest.

It is the job of the students to bring back to GSA. To re-establish the GSA, one would need a teacher to sponsor it. There are several teachers who are willing to sponsor the GSA. The only missing component is student interest to restart the group.

If BHS had a GSA, some students who do not feel very comfortable in their skin would have the opportunity to meet other students like themselves and make friends. The main issue that LGBT students at BHS have is not feeling very comfortable being themselves at school. For example, some trans students do not feel very comfortable using the bathroom they want to use. Some trans students don’t even feel safe using any bathrooms. Having a GSA could help spread awareness and tolerance for trans students.

A GSA would benefit everyone in making BHS a happier, more tolerant campus. The students at BHS need to re-establish the GSA, so that everyone feels comfortable on campus.