Students lack typing skills

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students lack typing skills

Senior Reagan Carter takes a typing test to see how many words he can type per minute. The average person types between 38 and 40 words per minute. However, professional typists average around 75 words per minute.

Mariah Ramon, Commentary Editor

Throughout the years in schools, private or public, grade school or college, there is one valuable skill that is used by everyone. It doesn’t matter the age or class, most courses require some form of keyboarding to complete school work online, write essays or conduct research.

The average adult, one that works an office job and deals with keyboards on a daily basis, types between 65 and 75 words per minute. The average student types between 30 and 40 words per minute, so it is crucial to understand where the noticeable gap comes from.

Many students never really grasped the proper techniques of keyboarding. After testing several students on their speed and accuracy, the average was around 30 words per minute. Most students did not use the general rules of keyboarding, and using one or two fingers to press each letter.

“I’m terrible at typing essays on the computer,” senior Reagan Carter said. “It takes too long, so usually I just type through the google docs app on my phone.”  

While schools, including BHS, have worked hard to integrate computers into the classroom, there has been little effort in teaching the fundamentals of keyboarding. Students take one keyboarding class during their schooling, and it is usually in the 5th or 6th grade. There is no more direct keyboarding instruction prior to that.

“I haven’t had to use computers too much in high school so far, but I know I will have to use them more my junior year,” sophomore Sierra Tyson said. “The last time I practiced typing on a computer was in intermediate school.”