New iOS 9 Update Offers New Features

With her recently updated iPhone, Amanda Hendrix browses through the New York Times on the news app. The news app keeps readers up to speed on the biggest stories to date.

Becca Maxwell

Becca Maxwell, Reporter

Apple has just released its newest update, the iOS 9. Improvements can be seen in Siri, built-in apps, battery life, security, and in storage.

“My favorite feature on the new update is the low power mode,” sophomore Amanda Hendrix said. “My battery runs out fast, but turning low power mode on makes it last a little while longer until I can use a charger.”

One of the most innovative features of the iOS 9 update is a new feature called night shift which is a change in screen display designed with warmer colors to help with sleep. The bright blue light that usually comes from cell phones sends a message for your brain to remain alert, but when you turn on night shift, the display helps you fall asleep rather than stay awake.

Additionally, the update holds a brand new feature specially made for iPads. The slide over and split view features allow iPad users to multitask on their devices.

“I use my iPad for homework all the time and with the split screen I can use the internet and write a paper at the same time without moving back and forth,” freshman Abby Valderrama said.

The other improvements include stronger passwords which can be up to six characters, turning notes into checklists, a smarter Siri, and the addition of a news app to help keep users up to date.

“The update took some time to figure out but now I enjoy the new features,” sophomore Amanda Hendrix said.